Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Publix

At first I didn't want to post this, because I believe, as the Bible tells us, not to share good deeds. We're not to toot our own horn or brag about a tiny moment where we act as we should. So, I let this experience marinate on my mind for a few days. I then realized the story itself can show others, that you never know how something so small, can be so big to someone else. As you read, please understand that is where my intent is.

It was the morning after we had gone to see The Basement for a second time, (see The Basement testimony). My oldest, Tucker, had one of his friends over, and I was rushing in to Publix, to get some breakfast and lunch food for them. I got in line, and of course, I had to get in the line where the lady was taking forever!! I was sitting there saying to myself, "Well if there's going to be a lane that's messed up, you get in it Stacy!" Then I started saying to myself, "Hurry up, hurry up, HURRY UP!" While I was having a selfish hissy fit, I noticed that the lady was shaking trying to get her money together to give the cashier. She was trying to decide whether to buy toilet paper. I grew up very poor, and I know what that feels like. I couldn't sit there and have a woman have to decide that. I pulled a $10 bill out of my purse and gave it to the cashier. The little lady looked at me and said, "What are you doing? No, don't do that, please, don't." I wouldn't listen to her, partly because she was going to have some toilet paper, and partly because I wanted her to get out of my way! I had to tell her I was going to take that toilet paper and get it myself. I told the cashier not to listen to her to get my point across. The little lady said, "At least take the change." I told her no. The Holy Spirit then had me remember what Annette Henderson said not long ago. (Annette is a mentor at my church) I looked at her, and said, "We are supposed to take care of God's children aren't we?" Isn't it sweet that God brought those words to my mind to say to an elderly lady?

Something happened that I did not expect. This little old lady began tearing up and said, "God sent you to me! Do you know that? I know you're an angel and he sent you to me." We ALL know I do not qualify for angel status, so we don't need to address that comment. I just looked at her and smiled. Then, she came up to me as she was crying, and said, "I lost my husband a few weeks ago. I just got back from the doctor, and he told me I have cancer." Well, what do you do with all of that, while you're in line to buy food? I was taken back. She then said to me, "I prayed to God to help me, to show me He's listening and then you show up and do this." All I knew to do for that pitiful woman was grab her and say, "Can I pray for you?" She said, "Please." So we prayed right there in the line; that God would bring His peace over her and her family during this time of sorrow. We prayed that she would be healed in Jesus' name. We prayed when she goes back to the doctor, they will see no more cancer there. Amen!

She took her groceries and toilet paper and left. I turned to the people behind me and apologized for holding the line up. I explained a little of what happened, and they said they understood and figured something was wrong. When I got out to the parking lot, I saw her heading to her car with tears just streaming down her face. She looked so lost. You know that look, when you lose someone or have been told really bad news. I went home, and told the boys what had happened. You never know, and I know I have said this in other posts, how God will use you if you let him. Praise God He still used me, even though I had a bad attitude to start with.

Yesterday, I was in Publix again, with Tucker and his friends. I was about to leave, and the girl bagging our groceries said, "Hey, you're that lady aren't you? You're the one who prayed for the lady not long ago." I said, "Yes, that was me." She said, "I told my mom what happened. Did something good happen to you after that? Did God bless you for it?" I told her being able to witness what happened, was a blessing to me. We got on a conversation of how things have been changing in my life; how we are having healings and great things happen at our church. So much so, that I started a blog, so we could share what's going on. I told her, "Next time I come in, I'll give you the blog's name."

As we were leaving, the boys wanted a drink out of the machine. I told them we were almost home, they can wait. For some reason though, they had to have one, and it took forever for the drinks to come out. Once again, I was getting frustrated and impatient. Then God prompted me, "Didn't I just teach you this lesson?" I dropped my groceries and my purse, wrote down the blog name, and gave it to the cashier. The girl I was talking to had gone out to the parking lot. I have got to learn to listen more when God prompts me. I've got to stop being so impatient sometimes, and ask myself, "Why is it taking so long? Why can't I get home quickly?" Sometimes, it's just a hectic day. Other times though, there is a reason; a quiet gentle whisper, asking a favor. I pray that as I grow more, I will stop screaming in my head, "Hurry up!!" and start asking, "Did you just say something God?"
~Stacy~

Ephesians 3:7
I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God's grace given me through the working of his power.

No comments: