Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Angel In The Rain

As I made my way to the doctor’s office early one morning, I noticed a strange site. The skies were pouring rain and a sad man stood at the curb, staring at me. He was not a person that anyone would take notice of---he had a beard and long, wet hair.  He looked at me as if to say:  “Can’t you help me?”

I did not want to miss my appointment, so I drove on, but could not get this man’s face out of my mind.  After I finished at the doctor, I drove back to the spot where this pitiful man had been standing.  I was upset to see that he was no longer there and even wondered if I had imagined seeing him.

I drove to the nearest store, bought a biscuit, juice and an umbrella.  I drove around for a few minutes, hoping to see him again.  I never did, so I placed my plastic bag in the same spot where I had seen him at the curb.  I will never know if he found my meager offering, or not.  There was a very large tree near the curb; maybe, just maybe he had taken shelter under that tree from the rain.  I would like to think that he saw me leave the bag and that he had something to eat that day and a much needed umbrella.

Part of me wonders if this was Jesus standing there that day.  He certainly looked the way I would picture Jesus today.  Maybe it was an angel trying to tell me not to ignore “the least of these”.  I can only hope that God will continue to open my eyes to see those that He would help, and to never forget His words:  “A cup of cold water (or an umbrella) given in My name will not loose its reward”!
~Emily~

Matthew 25:34-40
 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,  I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
"Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

No comments: