Friday, June 24, 2011

Tonya Jones' Testimony

I want to be a child who talks to God about everything. We can learn so much from our own small children with their innocent hearts; the way they want to believe that anything and everything is possible. I've been noticing how my son, Matthew, doesn't think anything is too big or too small for God. On several occasions, Matthew (really wanting to see God with his eyes) has said, “God, I want you to come down and come into my backyard, and onto my porch, and into my house so that I can see you.” Oh, the precious faith of a child! A while back, when he turned 3, we took his pacifier away from him for good. He instantly looked up to the ceiling, and he cried out saying, "God, I want my pappy back". Then, the other day, I told him that it was time for him to go lay down and take his afternoon nap. He looked up once again, and said, "God, I don't want to go to bed, I'm not tired." These may seem like trivial matters, but these are the worries and troubles that a 3 year old deals with. Knowing that Matthew is willing to take his concerns to God, believing that He cares, is something that I can learn from.
Do we take everything to God, and ask Him for help? Are we willing to? Do we truly believe He cares about each and every thing we go through, including the little things? Do we believe He will answer? I want to remember to take every single worry that comes up each and every day and give it to Him; the big ones and the small ones, don't you? I don't want Him to say to me, "Why didn't you ever ask Me for help with that?" He loves and cares for us more than anyone else does, and He's just right there waiting to help us. Let me have that childlike faith, Lord.

On an interesting note, I began writing this particular blog a week or so ago. In the middle of writing this, a few things happened. First, I lost my driver’s license, and then I lost an important book that I had been reading. In the past, I may not have said anything to God about matters such as these. Oh, yes, I would have worried myself sick over them, spent countless hours searching for them, vented and complained about them to everyone I know, but I likely wouldn't have ever said anything to my Father about them or brought my concern before Him regarding them. I guess I didn't truly believe He cared about things like these for some reason. Regarding my driver’s license, I prayed and asked God to please help me find it. I thought I had lost it in or around Publix somewhere. I knew that it had fallen out of my jacket pocket either in the grocery store, or in the parking lot, or possibly even in my car at some point. I did look in all of these places for it. I even went back to Publix a second time to search for it and I came up empty. I was disappointed because I thought I had enough faith.  I believed that God would make a way that I could find it, or that it would be found and given to me. I have to admit, that I did put a condition on God somewhat. In my prayer, I said let me find it, "even this day Lord."
I didn't find it that day,  and with each passing hour I became more and more anxious waiting and wondering if He would answer my prayer. Well, a few days later, when I was going to go to the courthouse to get a replacement driver’s license, I went down to the truck to put some items in it. We were getting ready to leave, and I thought I better check in the truck just one more time. This time, I found it! I do often keep a little bit of a messy vehicle with jackets, toys, purses, etc. However, it wasn't buried under any of that. It was in the floor on the side of my driver's seat. Wow! How could I have missed that the first time I searched for it? I thought I had looked pretty good for it, so I was so surprised to find it. I called Mike and we rejoiced together. About the book I lost, I searched for it a few days and couldn’t find . Then, I began searching for it again yesterday. This time I went into Matthew's bedroom to look for it. He keeps all of his books in a drawer under his bed.  I thought maybe there was a slim possibility that he picked up my book, at some point, and put it under his bed with his books. After digging through his books for about a minute or so, I remembered that this was something  I had not prayed about yet. As I was looking under his bed, I stopped in the middle of my search, and prayed about it. As soon as I ended my prayer, I looked down and there it was among all of his storybooks! Again, I was so surprised and elated. I thanked God for helping me find it.
In His Arms, Tonya
Philippians 4:6
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.

No comments: