Sunday, June 19, 2011

Angel on the Mountain

Judges
 Gideon said, “I have seen the Angel of the Lord, face to face”!

I have always felt rather envious of those in the Bible who had the privilege of seeing one of God’s special messengers. Many times, those who did have that wonderful vision were filled with fear and awe. I’m afraid if I do not write down what I saw on Sept 4th of 2001, I will forget, and I never want to forget that day:

Gary and I were headed up to Cheaha Mountain.  This is our favorite place in Alabama to commune with God and nature.  As we were driving up the mountain, Gary said, “I wish I could leave the old man up here on this mountain”.  I understood what he meant, because he had been depressed for some time, and when he gets down, I get down too.  This trip was a last minute idea, and although I was glad to get away, I had no idea what would happen. The weather was not great; the outlook for the night and the following day was rainy. We took a walk that Wednesday evening out to a favorite lookout spot. On the way down and back, we saw two families of deer.  They were watching us through what I thought was fog.  Gary said we were up so high; we were actually walking among the clouds!   
     
When we returned to the cabin, Gary began to re-arrange the campsite. He pulled a very heavy picnic table over to the edge of the cliff.  He brought an old armchair out of the cabin and sat it directly on top of the table, facing out over the edge of the cliff so he had a great view of the valley below.  Even though it was raining slightly, he enjoyed these few minutes before bed. He made his plans to get up the next morning and watch the sun come up from that vantage point on the table.  I knew I had until the light of day to sleep before he would be ready for breakfast.

The next morning, I woke up around , and looked out the window to make sure Gary was still on top of the table.  The room had been re-arranged since our last visit, my side of the bed was right next to the window. As I looked out the window, I saw Gary, coffee in hand, sitting in the armchair staring out at the beautiful scene.  He also wore a poncho to protect him from the light rain.  This covered his head and flowed down the back of the chair.  It was quite a funny site, but one that I had expected.  I lay back down, knowing that I had a few more minutes to doze.  I then realized that I saw something behind Gary that did not belong there.  I thought it might be the old, round table from the kitchen.  That would be just like him—bring the coffee, the table and chair, just whatever he needed to make this early morning appointment with God a success!

I sat up, and saw a large angel kneeling behind my husband!  At first, I thought it was just the outline of what looked like an angel in the poncho that covered my husband’s body.  I really tried to talk myself out of what I was seeing, but it was just so real.  This angel was not white and glowing, He was large and golden!   I could see his hair, and his wings hanging down to his side, and his feet behind him as he kneeled behind my husband. I wanted to rush out of the cabin and take a picture, but I knew the moment would be over if I dared to move.  The only part that I could see of my husband was his hand holding the coffee cup and his legs firmly planted on the table.  He was not moving at all.  There was a brief moment when I thought the angel might have come to take him to Heaven, he was sitting so still.  Later, when I tried to explain what I had seen, I asked him what he was feeling that morning.  He told me that he had been praying and singing praise songs until the sun came up.  He just felt that he could not sing or pray any longer, and there was a short time when he just sat still and felt so peaceful.  I told him that had to be the time when the angel came to take the old man from the mountain.

Gary likes to call his angel, Bubba, since I told him he was so large!  This angel towered over my husband’s head and side and was completely covering him.  I prefer to think that this was Michael or Gabriel sent to comfort my husband.  What an honor it was for me to witness this messenger from God as he ministered to my husband! Ever since that day, angels have become very special to me.  I have a small sign in my living room that states, “Angels are Welcome Here”, and they surely are.  Some of you may be doubtful of what I experienced, but I truly believe that God sends his angels to protect and comfort us, even if we do not see them.

I also realize that you may have experienced many sorrows and heart breaks in this life, and you wonder if God really cares.  I have no idea why we must experience the hard times here on earth, but I do know that God loves us. I also know that one day; we will join those Heavenly Angels as we worship God and Jesus forever and ever!!!      Emily Clark    

No comments: