Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Gideon Bible

I wanted to share a story I heard just a few weeks ago. While my family and I were visiting a church, a Gideon sponsor came to the podium to speak. I guess I never thought of them having spokespeople. I thought the company shipped Bibles to hotels rooms only. I had no idea who the Gideons were or how the company was started. I learned that Gideon sponsors go through out the world providing Bibles. So far, they have reached 190 countries and have translated the Bible in over 90 different languages. They provide Bibles to the military, prisons, hospitals, and convalescence homes as well. As we listened to the sponsor, he told an amazing story of God's power. This is the testimony I would like to share with you.


Two Gideon representatives had gone into a little school house in Portugal. When they walked in, there was one teacher, teaching about 95 students. Immediately, she knew who they were and she began saying, "Praise God, the Gideons are here! Children, they have come and brought us Bibles so we can learn God's word in English!" The two representatives looked at each other, because they knew the box they had contained Bibles in Portuguese. They explained to the teacher that their team brought Bibles in the local language. The teacher responded, "No, I know you have English Bibles, because I have prayed to God for a whole month that you would come and bring these for my class." Not knowing what to do, and feeling bad, the representatives opened their box. What they pulled out was Bible after Bible in English! They couldn't believe it.


When they left the teacher and students, they looked at each other and thought, "Oh no! We have brought down nothing but English Bibles and we will have to have the Portuguese Bible's shipped to us while we're here." They went out to their car and opened the other boxes they had in the trunk, they were ALL in Portuguese. When they got back to their headquarters, they asked if any boxes had been brought that were English. The response was no. All the Bibles that had been shipped were in Portuguese! The Gideon sponsor, who was speaking to our congregation,  looked at us and said, "Folks that box went into the room written in Portuguese and God transformed the box to English!" The congregation shouted, Praise God! Amen!


I love hearing stories of God's work. I know I normally have a testimony straight from the person who has experienced God's love and power, but this testimony meant so much to me. I hope that it will give you encouragement too. 


For only $5 the Gideon company can produce a Bible to be distributed. If you would like more information on how you can help, or if  you would like to become a Gideon sponsor, visit their website at: http://www.gideons.org


~Stacy~


Mark 4:14
The sower sows the word

No comments: